The idea of keeping many balls up in the air simultaneously. (huge dinner—>strategic plan)
Key Info for this Podcast:
Back in Episode #7 I talked about the importance of having a dedicated place to track your time and the tasks you need to accomplish. Some use a planner, others create their own calendars, I use Passion Planner; the point in that episode was to find and use something you trust.
Today we’re going to talk about setting aside time once a week to review how you spent your time, and plan for the week ahead. I would almost venture to say that this isn’t negotiable, but I know better. I won’t admit to using the same time every week to do weekly planning (though I should), but most weeks I do it this way:
- Look back on the things you scheduled for yourself. Did you attend to everything you were planning to? If not, move those things to a new spot when it makes sense, or put it on your To-Do list to do another time.
- Look at your To-Do list, make sure everything’s crossed off that should be.
- Brainstorm new things that might come to mind looking at the list (reference syllabi).
- Add things to your calendar for the month ahead (predominantly with paper planners, automate this stuff with electronic calendars).
- Look for patterns. Are you always busy Tues afternoon? This is helpful info, and now you’ll plan accordingly.
- Work, school, life, it all goes in the same place and is handled in a similar way.
- The time it takes me to do this is usually 15-30 minutes, and I am to do it Friday for the upcoming week.
- Try and find a time to start doing this every week that makes sense for you.
- What to do with a task that lingers for eternity. (Is it fear, or is it unclear?).
- Ongoing Schedule
- 2 episodes per week for 15 weeks (Traditional College Semester)
- 1st one (Mon) will be goal focused
- 2nd one (Thurs) mental health focused
- Forum is at Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/collegestudentsuccess It’s a public sub and all are invited to join, so please keep that in mind when posting.
- Blog is at www.collegestudentsuccesspodcast.com
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Link to thread on reddit to discuss the episode: