Week #7 of the semester is upon us. Midterms, and Spring Break is coming soon!
You’ve been building good healthy habits all semester. Don’t let them go to shit during your break.
- Try to stay in some kind of sleeping rhythm (yeah, i know, easier said than done).
- Leverage the time off to get some work you’re behind on done
- Or get a head start on an upcoming project
Question of the day from r/college
Two this week, one for nostalgia
and then one I took the time to answer on Reddit
Today’s Topic: Building Your Brand
- I spent a few episodes last semester talking about some audiobooks I was consuming (Tim Ferriss, David Allen, & Steven Covey). Time to talk about a new one I just finished yesterday, a guy I just love, Gary Vanyerchuk.
- I listened to his first book Crush It, where he discusses the importance of building your own brand.
- What is “your brand?”
- Why should college students consider building their brand?
- Why will this be even more important in the next 20 years than ever before (resume replacement)
- How do you build your brand?
Some Garyism’s that I personally identify with:
- Passion is Everything (stop if you’ve heard this from me before:)
- Success is in your DNA
- Create Great Content
- Choose your Platform
- Keep it Real (Authenticity, Hustle, Patience)
- Legacy is Greater than Currency
If you want to learn more check out Crush It,
Or perhaps you’re more interested in what Gary’s doing now. Here’s a link to his new book, which drops next week (I preordered the audiobook):
- Consider your “brand.”
- What are you about?
- Does the goal you’re working on this semester in any way relate to your brand?
- If you were to start a business tomorrow based on your current passions, what would it be?
- Think about how this could impact you as a potential employee down the road. If you just are not in a position to start branding yourself now, I get it, but at least write down this personal brand idea and file it somewhere you won’t forget it. This goal relates to Passion.
Previous Week’s Home Exercises
Week 1: Set a goal and think about it considering my 5 Factors (Passion, Value, Leverage, Accountability, Sustainability), and areas where you may need to pay special attention to (Passion).
Week 2: Think about what you need for your happiness and well-being. Consider what happiness achieving your goal will bring you. Write down your goal, and why you want it (Accountability).
Week 3: Pick one thing Zack and I talked about in the interview that will help you in reaching your goal, block out space in your calendar this week to do that one thing, and do it (Sustainability).
Week 4: Examine lack of progress more closely if needed, look at your life’s defaults through an honest lens (Value).
Week 5: Try out one of the note-taking suggestions/tips talked about in the episode in one of your classes over the next week (Accountability).
Week 6: Complete a study plan for the one midterm that is currently stressing you the most. If your goal does not relate to school, take a step back, see how you’re progressing, and re-evaluate your To-Do list (Accountability).
If you have any ideas for a show, I’d love to hear them! You can email me any feedback or ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also visit the podcast’s Facebook page. That can be found at:
Please subscribe to my podcast in iTunes or Stitcher Radio. A rating and/or review would also really help out the show and allow new listeners to discover it. Thanks for all the reviews so far!
Thanks to Rob Cavallo for today’s music. For more information about him or the music you heard today, you can email: email@example.com