Key Info for this Podcast:
Disclaimer: This is information, not medical advice, despite coming from a medical doctor. It is meant to be for educational purposes, to give people options in their mental health recovery. Do your own research, and do your due diligence to make informed choices that are best for your own recovery.
Join Dr. Lisanby and I today as we discuss…
- Why I reached out (previous episode/student who had ECT, my desire to empower people by giving them options, difficulty I had finding a qualified expert)
- Her background, including why she’s qualified to talk about ECT with me today
- What is ECT (Electroconvulsive Therapy)?
- When is ECT used?
- What are the different kinds of ECT?
- What are the dangers/side effects?
- Does ECT causes brain damage and/or Traumatic Brain Injury?
- Why do you think there is such a vocal anti-ECT minority?
- The Importance of Informed Consent
- Shared/Supported decision-making
- Best resources for more info
Websites/Links Referenced in the Interview:
Brief Overview of ECT https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/ectArticle by Dr. Lisanby for the Dr. Oz Show Website http://www.doctoroz.com/article/treating-depression-electroconvulsive-therapyNAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) www.namihelps.org/Electroconvulsive-Therapy.pdfVideo showing what ECT treatment looks like (Dr. Oz Show) http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/inside-shock-therapy-treatment-pt-1CBS This Morning Story on ECT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S84j8S0XOVUECT Resources https://www.isen-ect.org/resources-for-patientsECT – Find a Provider https://www.isen-ect.org/find-a-provider
www.pubmed.gov – Pub Med Government Research Search Site
- Pick a goal, something you want that matters to you. Write it down, and better yet, tell someone you’re close to about it to help with accountability.
- Write down a plan for your goal. List out the steps, assign a deadline to the first step. Put that step on your To-Do List.
- Take one step this week to “find your tribe.” If you’re already new to a tribe this semester, do one thing to strengthen your ties with that new tribe.
- Ask for some help related to your goal.
- Do research related to your goal. What do you need to learn more about in order to work more efficiently, save money, and/or become more effective at achieving your goal. There’s always something we can learn that can help!
If you are a recent college grad or faculty member that’s in recovery for mental health issues, I’d love to interview you about your goal achievement quest, the struggles/adversity you faced, as well the wellness strategies you learned! I’m particularly interested in interviewing student entrepreneurs and those involved in mental health advocacy. Please reach out.
Email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you a college student who is brand new to online learning? Or maybe you struggled in your first go-around with your online course and can’t figure out the mindset behind online learning? Please be sure to check out this course I made: Ace Your Online Class
Please subscribe to my podcast in iTunes, Stitcher Radio, Soundcloud, or Google Play. A rating and/or review would also really help out the show and allow new listeners to discover it. Thanks for all the reviews so far!
Thanks to Rob Cavallo for today’s intro music. For more information about him or the music you heard today, you can email: email@example.com